LIXIL makes pioneering water and housing products that solve everyday, real-life challenges, making better homes a reality for everyone, everywhere.
The LIXIL Group promotes the sustainable use of raw materials across the entire lifecycle of our products, from procurement through disposal.
*Our action plans, KPI, targets and performance share common targets for greenhouse gas emission reduction, water resource preservation, and sustainable resource use.
|Action plan||・Pursue more environment-conscious product design and sales expansion strategies, taking into account the entire lifecycle of both products and services
・Improve CO2 emissions/units
|KPI||(1) Benefits from group-wide CO2 emissions reduction achieved from the products and services
(2) Levels of group-wide CO2 emissions all places of business across the Group (Greenhouse Gas Reduction)
(3) Distribution-linked CO2 emissions intensity (Greenhouse Gas Reduction)
(4) Water Usage efficiency (Sustainable Water Use)
(5) Recycling waste materials (Sustainable Use of Resources)
(1) Group-wide benefits from CO2 emissions reduction achieved from products and services increased by 1.16 times (compared to FYE2016) to achieve our mid-term CO2 emissions target for FYE2017-21
(2) Levels of CO2 emissions across all places of business across the Group reduced by 3.2% (compared to FYE2016) to achieve our mid-term CO2 emissions target for FYE2017-21
(3) Reduce distribution-linked CO2 emissions by 2% v. FYE2016 (Greenhouse Gas Reduction)
(4) Evaluate water risks at production sites and select focus sites with a view to improving water usage efficiency (Sustainable Water Use)
(5) Achieve 95% waste produce recycling rate in Japan and Europe, and 62% in Asia, 22% in North America (Sustainable Use of Resources)
*(1) includes water resource conservation data (indirect avoided emissions and actual emissions related to water use)
(1) Expand CO2 emissions reduction attributable to Group products and services by 1.17 times v. FYE2016
(2) CO2 emissions from all places of business across the Group up 4.8% v. FYE2016 (down 0.9% as a ratio of sales)
(3) Logistics-related CO2 emissions intensity up 1.5% v. FYE2016 (Greenhouse Gas Reduction)
(4) Completed water-risk evaluation of production sites and determined KPI and targets for high-priority sites (Sustainable Water Use)
(5) Waste product recycling rate: Japan & Europe 95%, Asia 63% ,North America 19% (Sustainable Use of Resources)
In GROHE manufacturing plants of faucet fittings located in Germany, Portugal and Thailand, the alloy refining process in the melting furnace is self-manufactured. Recycled materials collected inside and outside of the factories are used for the brass, which accounts for 70-85% of raw materials used annually.
GROHE Klaeng factory, Thailand
The LIXIL Group ensures sustainable use of resources through initiatives such as recycling waste materials produced during its operations.
Based on the 3R principles - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - LIXIL Corporation is committed to reducing industrial waste products generated from manufacturing processes, collecting and sorting waste, and recycling. Furthermore, during product development, we promote initiatives to reduce resource use and simplify construction, design products that can be easily disassembled for recycling, and reuse of parts and materials.
Coverage: Data covers a majority of the entire Group
Coverage: Data covers a majority of the entire Group
The factory in Dalian, China, is striving to curb waste by reducing waste wood materials by introducing more efficient cutting process and repurposing the remaining pieces of wood material after cutting. The factory has managed to reduce the number of defect products by improving material cutting processes, and is also reducing the volume of waste wood materials by making parts from excess materials created during the production process that were formally sold off externally. Thanks to these efforts, the factory was able to reduce the volume of waste wood materials by 1,600 t in FYE2018 compared to FYE2017.
TOSTEM THAI Co., Ltd., a LIXIL Corporation subsidiary, has been working to reduce its biggest industrial waste product, sludge. In Thailand, the most common treatment of industrial waste is to bury it. However, this method has recently been criticized because hazardous materials have leached into the soil and groundwater. Concerned with the current process, we suggested to a local cement manufacturer about turning the sludge into cement material, a common process in Japan. The subsidiary worked with the government of Thailand to resolve the challenges by developing a suitable recycling framework, resulting in an 86% reduction in buried sludge volumes from FYE2016 to FYE2018, and cost reduction. These initiatives, along with other community activities such as tree planting and garbage collection, helped TOSTEM THAI gain Level 4 in the Thailand Ministry of Industry’s GREEN INDUSTRY* commendation system. We are now working to achieve the goal reducing new sludge landfills to zero by FYE2019.
* The green industry commendation system operated by the Thai Ministry of Industry has five achievement levels, and gives a level-specific Green Industry mark to each company that fulfills the required environmental activities.
Award ceremony for green industry promoted by Ministry of Industry of Thailand