LIXIL makes pioneering water and housing products that solve everyday, real-life challenges, making better homes a reality for everyone, everywhere.
The LIXIL Group is focused on developing products and services that can help realize a low-carbon or decarbonized society, as well as actively reducing greenhouse gas emissions in its operational processes.
*Our action plans, KPI, targets and performance share common targets for greenhouse gas emission reduction, water resource preservation, and sustainable resource use.
|Action plan||・Pursue more environment-conscious product design and sales expansion strategies, taking into account the entire lifecycle of both products and services
・Improve CO2 emissions/units
|KPI||(1) Benefits from group-wide CO2 emissions reduction achieved from the products and services
(2) Levels of group-wide CO2 emissions all places of business across the Group (Greenhouse Gas Reduction)
(3) Distribution-linked CO2 emissions intensity (Greenhouse Gas Reduction)
(4) Water Usage efficiency (Sustainable Water Use)
(5) Recycling waste materials (Sustainable Use of Resources)
(1) Group-wide benefits from CO2 emissions reduction achieved from products and services increased by 1.16 times (compared to FYE2016) to achieve our mid-term CO2 emissions target for FYE2017-21
(2) Levels of CO2 emissions across all places of business across the Group reduced by 3.2% (compared to FYE2016) to achieve our mid-term CO2 emissions target for FYE2017-21
(3) Reduce distribution-linked CO2 emissions by 2% v. FYE2016 (Greenhouse Gas Reduction)
(4) Evaluate water risks at production sites and select focus sites with a view to improving water usage efficiency (Sustainable Water Use)
(5) Achieve 95% waste produce recycling rate in Japan and Europe, and 62% in Asia, 22% in North America (Sustainable Use of Resources)
*(1) includes water resource conservation data (indirect avoided emissions and actual emissions related to water use)
(1) Expand CO2 emissions reduction attributable to Group products and services by 1.17 times v. FYE2016
(2) CO2 emissions from all places of business across the Group up 4.8% v. FYE2016 (down 0.9% as a ratio of sales)
(3) Logistics-related CO2 emissions intensity up 1.5% v. FYE2016 (Greenhouse Gas Reduction)
(4) Completed water-risk evaluation of production sites and determined KPI and targets for high-priority sites (Sustainable Water Use)
(5) Waste product recycling rate: Japan & Europe 95%, Asia 63% ,North America 19% (Sustainable Use of Resources)
The LIXIL Group seeks to achieve a net zero balance between its environmental footprint and positive environmental contribution. A part of that drive involves setting guidelines for calculating CO2 emissions and positive environmental contributions through the use of our products, which will enable LIXIL to quantify the reduction of its environmental footprint through products and services. Going forward, we intend to strengthen environmental designs that take into account the full product lifecycle, and expand our range of environment-conscious products.
Heating water constitutes 24% of household CO2 emissions, so conserving hot water is an effective way to reduce emissions. The impeller built into the Ecoful Shower’s showerhead is designed to block half the shower holes while turning at high speed. By increasing the internal pressure, it creates a powerful shower spray even with much less water. In fact, the shower can reduce the amount of water used by 48% compared to the conventional 10L/minute shower, thereby conserving energy.
Introduced in 2018, TOSTEM LW is a new window product consisting of a large glass door that slides open horizontally and boasts a “frame in design,” which hides the surrounding frame from view from the inside of the house. This window integrates both high thermal insulation (heat transmission coefficient 1.00W/(m2K)*) through its aluminum and resin hybrid frame, which helps reduce CO2 emissions and energy consumption for heating and airconditioning, with a clear view thanks to its “frame in design,” which is designed to perfectly fit the lines of the window frame.
* Calculated internally using sliding 16522 triple pane (with krypton gas) within and without LowE green (5-10-1.3-11-5) JIS A 2102-1 and JIS A 2102-2.
Each business within the LIXIL Group sets targets and implements initiatives in line with our medium-term goals, which includes creating and saving energy in operational activities. In FYE2017, we established the Guideline for Calculation of Value Chain CO2 Emissions and are currently implementing these guidelines Group-wide. We are implementing a number of initiatives to reduce energy consumption in all of our business processes, including switching to LED lighting in our offices and installing systems that encourage environmentally efficient use of commercial vehicles in Japan.
Coverage: LIXIL Group total (Partially excluded)
As part of this project, LIXIL conducted an initiative together with our customers on the importance of indoor temperature, which can cause heatstroke or heat shock, and efficient use of heaters and air-conditioning units, which constitute approximately 25% of household energy consumption.
At showrooms around the country, we decided to distribute original LIXIL thermometers in the summer of 2018 to customers who have asked for quotes on products to improve residential insulation and thermal efficiency. The gift is designed to increase awareness and interest in indoor temperatures and the insulation and thermal properties of housing. The original LIXIL thermometer is also distributed to Group employees in Japan to encourage them to become more aware of indoor temperatures, and modify behavior accordingly.